Monday, February 29, 2016

Blog #6

Most schools require teachers to maintain a set of class pages on the school website. I visited my high school, Stoneman Douglas High's website page, douglashigh.browardschools.com. Stoneman Douglas High is a high school that teaches grades ninth through twelfth. The school website has a section that lists all of the teacher's websites categorical according to the subject that they teach. Most of the teacher's websites only included information that pertained to their specific class and students since the school's homepage contains all of the announcements and information about what is occurring at the school. I went through some of the teacher's websites and some were more extravagant than others. All of the teachers websites were similar in context; they all uploaded notes and other printable work for their class, calendars about upcoming assignments and links to other resourceful websites for their students. This specific teacher also separates her website into the different types of classes she teaches but makes the website welcoming to all of them. She keeps it simple but inspirational with quotes and fun clip art as well as giving a supplies list at the bottom in case any of her students feel like donating to her classroom.





I can see myself using technology to accomplish my professional responsibilities more efficiently and more effectively. I will use products such as the Microsoft Office suite, which are applications used on computers in order to create spreadsheets and other useful organizational tools to keep me up-to-date with everything going on in my classroom. I will also make a website that is organized and inviting to parents of my students who I assume will be on the younger side of the spectrum. I want to teach elementary school so I have to make my website simple and full of graphics. With these two types of technological tools I will be using in my classroom I will be implementing the skills of creativity and alignment into my work.

By working on the Web Evaluation Wiki I was able to better judge a website on how credible they are and where they got their information from. I am now able to not trust everything that I read from a website and spend more time checking out a website before I trust what I read from it. I liked that I was able to work on this assignment in a group for once, I was able to socialize with my peers in the class and help one another. The only aspect of this assignment that I didn't like was the fact that it was hard to navigate around the website and that it was hard to work on the same assignment with my peers at the same time. I can improve for next time when I am looking at a website to check who the website got their information from. Something I learned from the website evaluation assignment that I can use in my future career to to make sure I evaluate a website before presenting it to my class. I do not want to show them something that is unprofessional or inaccurate. I want to take the time and find the best websites for my students to look at and learn from.


No comments:

Post a Comment